Section 9, Article XII of the Philippine Constitution provides that: “Congress may establish an independent economic and planning agency headed by the President, which shall, after consultation with the appropriate public agencies, various private sectors, and local government units, recommend to Congress, and implement continuing integrated and coordinated programs and policies for national development.” The same Section of the Constitution further states that “until the Congress provides otherwise, the National Economic and Development Authority shall function as the independent planning agency of the government.” Thus, the NEDA, as reorganized under Executive Order No. 230 dated 22 July 1987, serves as the independent planning agency of the government.
“Ours is the leading development agency with a caring team of committed, competent, culturally-sensitive and spiritually-guided staff, working with partners at all levels, for a united, sustainable, prosperous, and autonomous Cordillera.”
“We commit to orchestrate regional development initiatives and aspirations through broad-based consultations, and in an atmosphere that inspires a dynamic fit among management staff, and resources.”
The functions of the NEDA Regional Offices (NEDA Roles, Functions and Organization, 1990) are as follows:
- Serves as the technical staff of the Regional Development Council (RDC) in the region;
- Provides assistance to the RDC in the coordination of plan formulation and implementation at the regional level;
- Provides staff assistance to implementing agencies in the region in identifying and developing regional programs and projects;
- Evaluates and reviews proposed programs and projects to the region for consideration of the RDC;
- Monitors and assesses project implementation in the region; and
- Coordinates with regional offices of other departments and agencies and with local government units in the region in the performance of their assigned tasks.